Monday, August 6, 2007

Montanas like it HOT, HOT, HOT



Some of you may have heard that there are a few fires out here... not sure if it's made national press yet. I think when you declare a state of emergency you usually make it to CNN fairly quickly.




Our plans were to head through Seeley Lake to Glacier and camp in Seeley last night. As we were driving up 90 towards Missoula there was a distinct haze that didn't feel like cloud cover or really anything we had experienced before. So once we started to see signs on road saying FIRE AHEAD we realized the haze was smoke.

A few years ago we may have continued driving but we checked the exact area we were headed to and it is the biggest fire in the West so we decided to stay in Missoula - never knew how much I loved the Holiday Inn until last night. This place is packed with smoke-jumpers from all over the US, people that have been evacuated from their homes, about 20 different dogs and us. So we've enjoyed the local fare at the IronHorse and tasted the local beer. And I have showered twice just to make up for lost time.
Today we are going to head up to Glacier and see about camping. The fires in Glacier are minimal and apparently fires in these parts are just part of the joys of summer. We're safe and happy - so parents no need to worry.

By the way here are some pics over the last couple days....


6 comments:

Timothy said...

That is one lovely campsite. Wait! How many friggin dogs do you have?

Unknown said...

Welcome back to the internet! I read it to Hol while we ate dinner tonight. Fun stuff. Thanx for letting us come along.

C+H

Unknown said...

Oh, I forgot to mention – OBM is the fourth post on ZipLog.net. Hope you're cool with the massive (site) traffic spike you're going to get for the last half of the trip. ; )

Chris

meredith said...

How crazy . . .How are the dogs doing? Did they like The Holiday Inn?

By now I am sure you heard Diana had the baby. Parker Ford was born at 2:40pm weighing in at 7lbs 5oz.

Have fun and enjoy the adventure!
mere

About Danielle... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
About Danielle... said...

Hello to you both. I sure hope that you are having the GREATEST DAY OF YOUR LIFE. I know I am. It is hotter than the crack of christ's arse here in the lou...

S-I miss you...A LOT!!!!!!!! I look forward to hearing aoout all of your adventures and telling you about all of mine...

D-I hope your sweat band is still in one piece. I was going to say something inappropriate, but other people are allowed to view this so I will practice a little containment.

My favorite pic is the HUMMER. Shocker!

PEACE OUT PLAYERS...

XOXOXOXOXOX

dtridenti